Friday, September 25, 2009

Where I'm From












I am from the Blue Box Mac & Cheese
from taco Tuesday and pizza Friday.
I am from summer softball,
sun glaring in my eyes.
I am from dirt roads turned suburban air
from riding my bike to driving my car.
I am from my grandparents home,
each Sunday afternoon or the occasional
Old Country Buffet.
I am from tall grass watching my neighbor mow his lawn,
then swimming my heart out in the late afternoon sun.
I am from camping and long road trips
in the backseat, watching the world whiz by.
I am from repent and thou shout be saved,
and on the old rugged cross.

From hot chocolate to sweet tea,
from pecan, to pumpkin, to rhubarb pie.
From hearing the roar of the Friday Night Lights
in my backyard and watching from the bleachers.

Memories fading like a shooting stars,
my heart fills up and pours out
those moments, those faces, those dreams.
I am from each of these.
As we all are.

No comments:

Post a Comment