
I'm loving my new found revelations in life over the past few months. It's not that I've never had interesting thoughts, I've just never attributed them to God. I feel much more relieved than ever knowing that He speaks to me all the time (and always had) and I am finally listening, every once in a while.
However, learning and growing is not without pain I suppose. I am beginning to be frustrated by the idea that in the "christian world", some questions never have actual answers. You can't ask a question without getting a bit of a run-a-round. Generally, answers can be found to most questions posed, even theological ones. Albeit "larger" (there's that word again) questions require some debate, which is fine, but one can choose to be on one side or the other. In our "world" however, there never seems to be two sides to an answer. Example:
Question: is a bad relationship without sex better than sex without any relationship?
Answer: you're, once again, asking the wrong question.
Answer: the question is actually irrelevant.
Answer: both.
Answer: the real question is what is your motivation or purpose behind the question you're asking? Are you reaching for justification on something?
Answer: God has great things planned for your life, why be bothered with such petty nonsense.
Answer: sounds like both options include relationships without God thus they are all incorrect and if you were truly living the way Christ wants you to live the only relationships you would have would be good ones.
ALL BS.
So, I can't be on one side or the other? No choosing between the lesser of two evils? This is just an example of one of the many questions that I am sure we've all been posed with at some point, in which no clear answer can be reasoned, because both choices are simply unholy. In reality, however, how often do we ask questions about an great option versus it's polar opposite? Do we really need help choosing the right direction when the answers are clear? Example:
Question: should I have sex now or wait to have sex when I'm married?
There is clearly one side or the other - you can choose to be on either side. You may ask for direction in HOW to follow through on your decision, but the decision isn't what's being debated.
In reality most of our questions don't fall in the category of which is BEST or WORST, but rather in a range of better to worse. It's not often that we get to choose an answer to a question in which only two possibilities are laid out, the best option and it's opposite. It's like Presidential elections - we choose between two possibilities that both have pros and cons, but one is not clearly identified as the BEST choice. Thus we seek deliberation and debate among the options and end up choosing the "lesser of the two evils". Because we MUST make a choice.
If we apply this to the question posed in the first example, then we MUST decide on one choice or the other, between the lesser of two evils after debating the pros and cons of both sides. But for some reason this just isn't an option in the "christian world." It's like people who don't vote simply because they find the whole voting process to be faulty anyway.
The "christian world" views any "unholy" answer to a question as not an answer at all, but as a faulty question in the first place and thus refuse to make a choice.
Maybe this is why we seek "ungodly council." At least we get answers.

No comments:
Post a Comment